Friday, July 3, 2009

jazz in tampa???? o yeah.


Andrew enjoying a beer while enjoying the jazz at Karma Cafe

I've got to let you all know, I'm a HUGE jazz fan. I don't know what it is about that beautiful genre that draws and mesmorizes me-maybe its the infusion of improvisation, and the complexity of different rhythyms, beats, harmonies and melodies! its so hard for me to explain-i feel like im trying to explain my love for a different language. But being from Tampa bay, it hasnt been easy trying to find places or collectives which actually play jazz on a semi-regular basis. until now. I'm about to highligh some hot spots where YOU can hear some hot jazz.for free. This aint Chicago or New York...but wev'e got some talent...


Cafe Kili


Near USF, but feel deprived from great jazz? Well, ive got the cure for you. Cafe Kili, located on a shopping center, nestled between a Sushi place, cici's pizza, and Hillsbourough Kids! Step inside, and youll immediatley notice that this is no ordinary jazz gig- this is an interactive jazz session. spectators and cool cats come and bring their trumpets, bases, and saxophones and freeley join in as they please. Check out Cafe Kili, located on 5731 E. Fowler avenue,on Monday nights from 7-9pm for some amazing, improv jazz. http://www.cafekili.com/


Karma Cafe & Bar


For whomever keeps complaining about there never being a thing to do in downtown Tampa really ought to wake up and listen to the music! While the Karma Cafe may be a little tricky to find, its extremely worth the journey. This posh, hidden gem is filled with colorful artwork from Artcore artists, great beer, board games, and yes...amazing jazz. You'll hear the classic miles davis covers, as well as some crazy ass improv that will blow your mind. listen to some jazz, while taking in the downtown vibe, and check the out the Karma Cafe, located on 206 N. Morgan St, Tampa . Tuesday nights, from 8-11 pm http://www.myspace.com/karmabarandcafe

Indigo Coffee

Photo courtesy of looptampa.com

I know, I know. Cafe Indigo, it's sort of a chain, and I HATE talking about chain places because of all the great local places in this area, but Cafe Indigo is different-for one thing, it's not Starbucks! Although I still have yet to check the downtown Tampa location, I remember recently driving through the area, and reading a sign about their weekend jazz. According to the site, you can check out Indigo Coffee, at 514 N Franklin St, on Friday nights from about 6-8:30 p.m. for their jazz-i'll keep you posted on my opinions of this place at a near distant time (if I can find the time to get off work..)


USF

Photo courtesy of http://mondaynightjazz.arts.usf.edu/

'' One of the best-kept secrets at USF, the Monday Night Jazz Series was started in 1996. Each semester, the Jazz Studies department welcomes acclaimed musicians to perform with the USF Jazz students and faculty on the last Monday of each month. Each artist conducts masterclasses with USF music students as part of their appearance making the Monday Night Jazz Series a bright spot for the students and faculty of the School of Music, as well as the Tampa Bay area jazz audience. '' - http://mondaynightjazz.arts.usf.edu/
I'm not sure if theyre still doing this, now that it's summer, but I know for a fact that once the fall and spring semester begin, this will definatley be in action. Its about $10 dollars I believe, but it's WORTH EVERY PENNY! Support the Jazz program at my school, and check this gem out!



Am I forgetting to bring some other areas to the limelight?? Are there any other hot spots that play jazz in tampa?? hit me up!
*cheers*


No comments:

Post a Comment